Anderson and Garland Ltd can trace their origins back to 1840 when two businessmen set up as auctioneers in Newcastle. George Hedley and William Anderson were both involved in the furniture business. Hedley was in removals and Anderson was a timber trader with interests in Burma.
Together they formed Anderson, Son and Hedley, sold items by auction and provided storage of goods and removal to "all parts of the Kingdom."
Trading successfully from Pilgrim Street, this company merged with another local firm, Atkinson and Garland in 1913 to form Anderson and Garland Ltd and built Anderson House, one of the UK’s first purpose built Auction Rooms in Market Street, where we were based until 1988.
Finding Anderson House too small, we moved to nearby Marlborough House in 1988 where the business was based until 2005. When we made the move to our current premises we reverted back to the historic name of Anderson House. Like its earlier namesake, the new Anderson House is a purpose built saleroom offering modern facilities and well lit showrooms to present items for sale in the best possible setting. With a large free car park and conveniently situated next to the A1 and Newcastle Airport, Anderson House continues the mix of innovation and tradition that has been the mainstay of our business since 1840.