Anderson & Garland can trace their origins back to 1840, and is today one of the premier fine art auction houses in the North East of England.
An amalgamation between Newcastle's Anderson Son & Hedley and Atkinson & Garland in 1913, gave birth to the present trading name, and for the following 75 years the firm was based at Anderson House, Market Street, Newcastle upon Tyne - the first purpose built auction rooms outside of London.
During the first 25 years of this period the firm developed invaluable experience as auctioneers of art treasures and furnishings at ancestral castles and large country houses in the area. Outstanding amongst these were Longridge Towers in 1920, Otterburn Hall in 1921, Swarland Hall in 1922, Creswell Hall in 1924, Callaly Castle in 1925, and Lambton Castle in 1932.
The latter sale continued for nine days and included in the catalogue was Lawrence's "Red Boy", an 1827 portrait of Master Charles William Lambton. This was withdrawn at £95,000 - a substantial figure at that time.
POST WAR GROWTH
After World War II growth continued steadily. There were notable country house sales, some of these truly lavish affairs. Particularly of note was the auction at Eslington Park, Whittingham, Northumberland in 1951, which followed the death of the 7th Baron Ravensworth.
Then in the early 1970's came a sudden explosion of public interest in antiques. Collectors from all over the UK were attracted to the work of North Country artists and craftsmen. An increasing number of international treasures began to pass through the firm's salerooms, adding to those from the region that had accumulated here thanks to its wealthy industry and shipping in the 19th Century. Major house sales during the 1980's included Cardew Lodge at Dalton, Cumbria, Bradley Hall at Wylam and Slaley Hall, Northumberland. In the 1990's important sales were held at Acomb House and Elsdon Tower in Northumberland. The most recent country house sale was the contents of The Hermitage, Hexham, in June 2013.
The firm's British clients have also been joined by many from Europe, the U.S.A., China, Australia and other countries throughout the world, thereby enabling us to offer an unparalleled service in Northern England to solicitors, bankers, trustees and executors for the sale of clients' estates.
This new business growth created increasing pressure on space, and in 1988 Anderson & Garland moved for only the second time in 150 years to new 20,000 sq.ft. premises at Marlborough House, Newcastle. Here the firm was immediately able to take advantage of its vastly increased display and selling opportunities. The first day of the Inaugural Sale realised record figures for certain items and, up until recently, a record for a single days selling for the firm.
By 2005 a further move was required with the intention of combining our two salerooms under one roof. Suitable premises at Westerhope, on the outskirts of Newcastle, were acquired and fitted out as auction rooms. The benefit of this new building was enormous useable space providing two 7,000 sq.ft. salerooms with a 4,000 sq.ft. warehouse, complete with racking system. From a customer's point of view, the new premises has plenty of secure car parking and good access to the A1 and A69. The airport is a short taxi ride and Newcastle Central Station is easily accessible by public transport. Being a new building, it is comfortable and spacious with full disabled access to all areas. The new Anderson House has all the modern facilities required in today's fast moving business enviroment.
Anderson & Garland Ltd. can offer the widest range of services and expertise of any auction house in the North East of England. These cover everything from selling the complete contents of homes to the valuation of antiques and works of art for every purpose.